In 1824 the first distillery with the Banff name was built by James McKilligan & Co in Speyside, in the same year as Glenlivet. This distillery was different from the one whose ruins are still visible: it passed to Alex Mackay in 1837 and then from 1863 to the Simpson family. In 1867 James Simpson Jr built a new distillery with easier access to water and near a railroad. Unfortunately, on May 9, 1877, a fire devastated the production department in the new distillery (malting and warehouse remained intact) but being in the period of the whiskey boom the owner immediately rebuilt it by adding a fire engine. The Simpson family remained the owner until 1921 when they sold a large part of the distillery to the Mile End Distillery Company but in 1932 SMD bought it entirely and decided to close it, leaving only the warehouses in use. In 1941 a German Junkers JU-88 bomber set off a second fire with its bombs, an event that destroyed part of the warehouse triggering a flood of whiskey and fumes, the attack was not accidental: Banff was used as a training ground for foreign pilots who wanted to join the RAF. Rebuilt from 1941 to 1943, it became an operational base for the RAF “Strikewings” department. Reopened after the Second World War as early as 1959, the fumes condensed inside a still that was being repaired triggered an immense explosion, destroying it together with other parts of the distillery, incredibly no one was injured or killed. Due to the crisis of the 1980s, Banff closed in 1983, but since insult and injury often go hand in hand, on 11 April 1991 a last fire destroyed the remaining warehouses. Fun Fact: It uses triple distillation until 1924 Oddly, it is considered the distillery with the funniest name pronunciation in Scotland (???) When the “new Banff” was built in 1863 the locals called it “Inverboyndie” to distinguish it from the old one.
If you are a company and need invoice or VAT changes please contact us